12.30.2009

Top 10 Albums of the Decade - According to Chris (Not Jim, I Hate that Show)

So the decade is coming to a close...boo right?  Well not if you are getting out of jail on Jan 1. 2010.  Then you are probably pretty happy I guess.  If that is the case, then you'll want to get your music collection up to speed.

Here are my (Chris Balzer's) top ten albums of the decade in case you find yourself in a similar predicament.



#1 The Music – The Music (2002)

These guys were like 5 years old or something when they recorded this. Bands are still copying their style today. I remember I bought this album only because there was a band bold (or possibly stupid) enough to call themselves “The Music” and I had to see what it was about. I was a freshman in college and apparently had money to blow at the local Borders. I had never heard of them before, but can still listen to this on repeat today nearly 8 years later.


#2 Of Montreal – Skeletal Lamping (2008)

Kevin Barnes doesn’t fall back on any pop formulas on this album, the twists and turns just work somehow, and I have no idea why. This is the most recent challenge to the traditional concept of what an album should be.


#3 Arcade Fire – Funeral (2004)

The first time I heard Arcade Fire’s music I was in Oxford, OH. I was listening to a local college band cover “Wake Up” at one of the small bars in town. I had no idea who Arcade Fire was, but thought that the band covering them was set for world domination.


#4 Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (2007)

Modest Mouse is one of those bands that cannot be quickly genre-lized, and I always liked that about them. Even after gaining mainstream success they’re still a little weird and quirky. This album is that perfect combination of uniqueness and reliable catchiness from front to back.


#5 Muse – Black Holes and Revelations (2006)

This whole band is retardedly talented and have shown that they have no problem incorporating any style into an epic rock/anti-establishment motif on several of their albums. I listened to this for 2 weeks straight while on vacation in France and I think it was more than half the reason I enjoyed that trip so much. I promised not to let a band’s live show influence this list of top albums…but it’s hard not to be impacted by that when it comes to Muse. (hint: phenomenal)


#6 Muse – Absolution (2004)

If the world was ever coming to an end, I want this to be the record I’m listening to.


#7 LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver (2007)

Front man James Murphy is an insanely talented composer, and I think his finest work is on this album. Anyone who passes up a job as a writer for Seinfeld to continue doing music is stupid if it doesn’t work out and awesome if it does…since it did …awesome.


#8 The Faint – Wet from Birth (2004)

Countless bands have combined electronic music and rock music, but the electro-punk mix on this record just works better than the rest for some reason.


#9 Razorlight – Up All Night (2004)

This album is pure black eye, bloody lip, back alley rock and roll. It makes me sad that they kind of jumped the shark and got soft around the edges with their subsequent releases, but on this one Razorlight is the balls.


#10 Phoenix – Alphabetical (2004)

This is one of the best sounding records of the decade. I was floored when I found out it was produced by the band in their basement.



Well there it is folks.  Hope you enjoyed the list and the last ten years of your life.  Happy New Year!

No comments: